Showing you MY JUNK – Pictures Included!

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by Darius, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

IT CAME!!!!

The Front Axle Assembly Tube arrived this afternoon - after my calling the shipper earlier today asking what was taking so long.

The weather turned wintery here today. It was cold and windy in the Valley of the Great Salt Lake with low riding clouds hovering over the Wasatch Mountains to the East, dusting them with the gift(?) of snow. It will interesting to see if the white stuff makes its way down to the valleys during the night.

For me, this is not an inviting time of the year to be working on car projects. However, when you’ve searched far and wide for a much needed part and it finally arrives, it is time to stop bitching and just get to work!

First task will be to clean the accumulated grime from the Tube Assembly. Even that doesn’t seem bad as the aroma of decades old grease can be as inviting as a wafting perfume when you’ve waited to have your prize.

A couple of coats of paint will match it with the rest of the front drive unit. Once that cures the tube assembly can be installed onto the front diff assembly, an important step because that will allow the remounting of a host of other parts. Pretty darn soon the engine will be resting in its future home! That Is Progress!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    samIam likes this.
  2. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Awesome news for both the axle tube and the advance/retard. The only thing i know about the advance/retard is how a retard works. Ask me how i know :confused::confused::confused:
    Thats an oxymoron an engineer studying "retard" hahahah:D

8ad-f85 likes this.
  3. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

I HATE winter!

This simply is not my favorite time of the year. The temps are cold, the sky dull, darkness comes early and there is absolutely nothing beckoning me to screw around with my car project -- other than the fact it needs to get done.

Let this be fair warning to Utah Doc, you'll be getting a call soon "inviting" you to share your skills and knowledge over at my house. There are boxes of shiny new parts to mount on a clean painted frame. The propane tanks are set to fuel the two heaters. And then there's friendly and appreciative ME. Please consider coming to play at my house.

I need to get out to the garage and take some pictures of the goodies that are prepped for installation. Much of the work on little things has been done. The old rubber suspension bushing have been replaced with the Polyurethane. Brake components have are either scrubbed clean, painted or are brand new. The rear third member has a new "Torsen - Detroit Tru Trac" limited slip differential ready for installation, complete with new gaskets. http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit-TrueT...0&cadevice=c&gclid=CMjmq9C3jNUCFUFsfgodD-MHsg

Next I need to order replacement wheel bearing for the rear IRS spindles and get them pressed in.

So, new parts, stuff clean ready for installation - and I still hate winter.

bro. chilly d

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  4. El Diablo

El Diablo Active Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille
    Bro. Chilly D,
    I know what you are going through. I spent the majority of last winter there in the Salt Lake City area driving tractor trailer rigs. I even asked a few locals why they chose to live like that and was asked in return how I can live in a place that gets over 115°F in the summer. All I can say is that I'll take 3 months of hot over 5 months of snow.

But at least you are not in Portland, Oregon. When I was there, I had to chain up 3-5 times a day & never once saw them salt or plough the roads.

Don't shrivel up bro. chilly d.

5. nosgood

nosgood Member

Shiny parts mounted on a freshly painted frame?! It simply doesn't get better. I'm excited to see this thing all put together! Don't let old man winter get you down, Bro D. Show 'em who's boss!

Warmest regards,
    Nick

6. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

BraveDirtyHeifer-max-1mb.gif
    Just gotta keep your feet moving Brother Chilly D.
    In this politically correct world, im surprised no one has complained about the "Snow Man" which leads to to this. How would you tell the difference anyway?

Waiting for your responce.
    PJ

7. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Simple deduction:

No makeup and not worried about 'his' waistline - got to be a guy!

Sherlock d

8. 8ad-f85

8ad-f85 Well-Known Member

"He's" the only one smiling after the snowblower came through.

Darius likes this.
  9. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

LOL

That's thinking!!

d

10. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

"F"85 THATS GREAT!!!
    Im in stitches. As for Sherlock over there i think he is out thinking himself.
    Simple matter of looking for SNOWBALLS!
    Have a great day!PJ

Darius and 8ad-f85 like this.
  11. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Ya'll have certainly offered better answers ... must to my joy! Keep them coming.

30* chilly d

12. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Why is Santa so Jolly?