Showing you MY JUNK – Pictures Included!

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by Darius, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Me Bad?? YOU bad!!! LOL

2. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Time for another update. I’m moving pretty darn slow these days, but I’m STILL moving!

Progress has been made on some little things (no, not that little thing), like getting the old mounting bushings out of the front differential housing, and also removed from the output shaft tube assembly on the passenger’s side. All four mounting points take the same size bushing. The worn originals are being replaced with Energy Suspension Polyurethane units.

I had to engineer some "on-the-cheap" homemade tools to extract the old bushings. It took a couple of cobbled together piece to make it all work but the cost was right. Those same ‘tools’ will be used in reverse to install the much firmer polyurethane.

Before installing the new front diff into the chassis the entire unit will get a clean up, and a dab of paint. Don’t ever start cleaning and painting crap cause there is no end to it!! Biggest time waster there is. Greasy and grimy hits the road while clean and shinny gets you sidelined.

Best,

Bro. d

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  3. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Just a couple more pictures of the front diff housing mounting locations. When bolted to the frame, this one is toward the rear. The red bushings are for mounting the diff to the two frame rails. The black bushing are for the rear IRS. More on that soon.

d

Attached Files:

4. El Diablo

El Diablo Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille
    Brother D, there is just something inherently wicked about AWD, twin turbos, 500 cubic inches of torque monster Cadillac motivation all wrapped up in a classic Studebaker body.
    Can't wait to see it on the road.

PJ McCoy likes this.
  5. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Thats exciting! I like using my tool as well. Just keep working it and it will fall right out of the hole.:oops::confused: Ive had to put new bushings in too.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Good day

6. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

PJ,

You is a BAAAD BOY! :rolleyes:

d

PJ McCoy likes this.
  7. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Dats Da TRUFF.

8. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

It was well past 10 PM last night when I first went into the garage to do something, anything, on the Studebaker. Most of the day had been spent gathering and scanning documents related to the car accident of July 21st -- for which there has been NO check from either of the two insurance companies. So, even at such a late hour, there was a need to feel as though something positive had been accomplished.

Earlier in this thread there was a warning about paying attention to cleaning and such. Well, goose me and call me Trixie, but I was at it again, this time with the cover of the power steering gear housing. We all know how critically important that cover is, so it is any wonder that I felt it needed painting? The body of the unit had already been painted in typical black but this, of course needed a contrasting color.

After that is was time to put at least the first primer coat on the bracket that holds the output shaft tube of the front differential. That got done as well.

d

Attached Files:

9. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

That looks great D. It always feels good to do something even if its cleaning and painting.
    PJ

10. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Today I finally said what has been on my mind, and what has been intimated by the doctors. That my recent cardiac event was a result of that damned accident. I no longer feel safe driving and it doesn't matter if I'm the driver or if someone else is. Being on the road causes me to tense up, to worry about those behind me (I was rear-ended) and how much distance is being left between the vehicle I'm in and the car in front of us. Along with that is an anger that I've never known before. It is just below the surface, waiting to explode with the least provocation. That sensation until now was totally foreign to me. My chest tightens and the pains start. Damn it, why did that have to happen??

This afternoon I put some color on that bracket that received primer last night. It is a black metallic - not that it matters. To occupy my mind, and soul, time was spend cleaning (dinking with) the front differential housing. It has lots of small little crevices, places that a brush can't reach. Maybe tomorrow I'll dowse it with Simple Green, or Crud-Off, than hit it with the power washer. PTSD???

d

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    blue68deville likes this.
  11. blue68deville

blue68deville Member

It looks good, and you will know it was cleaned and painted.

A friend of mine decided it should be called CDO, since OCD isn't in alphabetical order.

I get the anxiety, I had a bad wreck a few years ago and it took a good month for that feeling to go away. Sucks for sure, but keep on truckin.
    As far as the insurance, keep bugging those pricks. They love to sit on a claim and try to wait you out.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    8ad-f85 likes this.
  12. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Update TIME:

Hey, do you remember that somewhat dirty, grimy, oxidized front differential I posted here a month ago? Well now it looks somewhat better, or at least cleaner and painted. It is the same color as the engine - Titanium.

It’s good to make progress, even when it isn’t BIG progress (big would be better).

Also, here are my new wheel adapters! They were needed to mount the new wheels to the Chevy front hubs. Since this project is (for the umpteenth time) AWD, all four wheels and tires need to be the same size. The wheels are from a Subaru SUV, the Tribeca. Why did I go with Tribeca wheels?? Because they were a CHEAP why to get 18 inch rims that are wide enough to accommodate WIDE tires; that in hopes of having this thing hook-up.

Both the front and rear hubs (which are from different manufactures) needed to have the same spacing on their mounting studs, plus be the same on the hub centric size. The ford IRS required a change in its bolt pattern, while the “hub centric” hole in the wheels needed to be machined out to match that Ford hub center.

Anyhow, the T-Bird bolt spacing at the rear needed to be taken from 5x4.25 to 5X4.5.

The front Chevy S10 hubs required the NEW adapterS to go from 5X4.75 to 5X4.5 (this gets complicated).

Whatever, these are my new adapters for the front.

I need a nap.

d

Attached Files:

13. thelazyk

thelazyk Member

Very nice. Looks like things are really coming together. I am not much a contributor to the forum, but have been watching your progress for many a year. Seeing you work towards your vision and watch you strive to achieve quality craftsmanship in true "American hot rod" spirit is inspirational! I know you have had several set backs over the years, but your determination has kept me going on my own 12 year project. Best Regards, Lou

8ad-f85 likes this.
  14. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Lou! What an encouragement your words are. You took the words right out of my mouth.

15. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Bro.D, Keep at it. I posted on another thread that its therapy. I believe that it is as much as the vision you have from with in. Those parts look so great. You do have patience sir, I would have been like " #$%^ &#" and put the parts together dirty. Just look at my pics. hahaha. Thanks for sharing and my 2 cents on the driving thing. Well that will all go away when you drive her, That your reward will be in full glory when you mash the gas and lay 4 strips of rubber on the ground, Im jealous all ready. :p
    PJ

16. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

PJ, thank you for your words of encouragement!

I finally found a wrecking yard that would take my money in exchange for a 1990-1996 Output Shaft Tube Assembly from an AWD GMC Safari/Chevy Astro/ or Olds Bravada.

Operators of the yards that I talked to couldn't seem to wrap their minds around the idea that I only wanted the Output Shaft Tube. They weren't selling many of the entire units but were unwilling to separate that part from the whole of the IFS to make a sale. One $$*&^@ office guy here in Salt Lake nixed a deal that had already been struck with their main yard man. The guy in the office had gruffly told me to go talk to Spike; but now questioned how much Spike had quoted me so called him on the walkie-talkie. Spike confirmed the deal but the office guy was an absolute %#%^**&&^# about the entire thing. He said the complete unit was worth $250 and would not sell me the output shaft tube for $70. So, I offered him Not Only the $70 but offered to throw in an COMPLETE, CLEANED, DETAILED 4x4 IFS with a more desired ratio. Still he was a No Go.

In the end I just said, "I know how to settle this" and took Spike's hand and shook it - then with all of the Christianity I could scrounge up I reached across the counter and shook the hand of the DINK. With that I quietly walked out.

The part I bought is coming from a yard in the mid-west and should be here early next week. Price? $75.

Best,

d
    (There are times when I'd like to put my beliefs behind me and slap the Living Crap out of people!) ((Please pardon my references to religion.))

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 12:12 AM
    8ad-f85 likes this.
  17. mario

mario Well-Known Member

Can the choir give a brother an AMEN.....

The way you handled that says a whole lot more about you then him. Bro, you are a true throwback, and I'm proud that we broke bread together.
    ciao,
    mario

18. MIHELA

MIHELA Member

Damn, I could have gotten you one of those Saturday if I'd known you needed it. And I could have done it for cheaper than 75! Bravada with complete powertrain at Ewe Pullet.

19. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

D, i saw you post on Daves Caddy engine build. Are you using/ going to use a turbo timer something like msd's electronic controller? My take is you would have to with the fuel injection. I watched a vid. On You tube with Freiburger describing how the timer works. Very cool stuff. He said it takes all the guess work.