Overhaul again

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by El Diablo, Dec 14, 2017.

1. dave brode

dave brode Well-Known Member

sad

El Diablo likes this.
  2. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Sad ... and all too familiar!

d

El Diablo likes this.
  3. Andy V

Andy V Active Member

sounds like a sweet setup...for the diesel computer...you using it just for the shifting of trans, or anything else than that?
    for convertor are you using a stock truck convertor too, and did it bolt up to caddy flexplate ?

4. kzhurley

kzhurley Member

The 92-93 6.5 diesel had a mechanical injection pump so the ecm only shifts the trans.. I'm using the stock diesel dual stator converter. So it has 4:1 torque multiplication. It has 6 bolts but only used 3.. I had to use spacers and longer bolts between the converter and caddy faceplate to clear the crankshaft bolts.. If I remember correctly I needed about 3/16 or so.

5. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

kz,

How do you like that dual stator converter? Are there any downsides to it? I had thought about trying one myself.

bro. d

6. kzhurley

kzhurley Member

My 56 would not spin the tires when I had the t400 behind the 500.. Now it will pretty easily. The only issue I see is that the stock ones are very weak I guess is why gm only used them for a short time when the 4l80s can out. If you can buy one aftermarket it would be nice. Once I start to do upgrades to the 500 I'm going to swap it out so I don't have to worry about breaking it and ruining the freshly built trans.

Darius likes this.
  7. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

kz,

Thanks for the reply. I had come across an Internet article which indicated the dual stator converter was weaker than the single stator but knowing how unreliable the Internet can be, your personal view is appreciated.

If the only downside to the 'dual' is one of strength, and if an aftermarket unit could be built to match the strength of the single stator, such a unit might be the ticket in a heavier vehicle or one pulling a heavy load behind the big Caddy. In some "performance" applications it might be akin to the deep first gear of the earlier, less strong GM automatics. For me, I need to first see how my combination performs with what I have before jumping off for some shiny bobble dangling overhead. :whistle:

Best,

d

8ad-f85 likes this.