Overdrive Trans

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by Natonia1969, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Natonia1969

Natonia1969 Member

I'm sure this is posted but just for conversation, is anyone running a gear vendor,, 4L80e,, or anything with overdrive? My 3 speed 400 is for the birds on the highway with my 3:50 gearing. Id like to have 3:70. I attend cruise ins with my car within the tristate and would one day like to just cruise instead of ground pounding the whole way there.

2. The Mad Cadder

The Mad Cadder Active Member

Currently I have a Moser 9" with 4.11 gear and Detroit Locker 4l80e with 3500 stall lockup converter

I have a toggle to turn the lockup on when I want usually let it shift to 3rd then lock it up and manual shift to 4th.. or just let the cpu do its thing

Natonia1969 likes this.
  3. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Julius' ride is on the road while mine is just waking up from dreamland. Therefore, I can only offer the plans with no real-world data.

I have two 4L80E transmissions and one will be under my Studebaker. The rear end gears in my Ford 8.8 are 3.08s but the weight of my vehicle should come in about a 1,000 pounds less than your ride (guessing). So yes, someone else is "headed" for an overdrive ride - but it isn't there just yet.

Best,

d

Natonia1969 likes this.
  4. The Mad Cadder

In 4th gear lockup [because there is no slip] the 4.11 and 28" tire is the same figured rpm vs mph as a 28.1 " tire 3.08 gear car and th400
    2500 = 68 mph... In reality due to the 400's converter slip it is almost the same as a 2.94 gear th400 and 28" tire

Darius likes this.
  5. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Thanks Julius, that makes a world of sense and is worth remembering!

My ride will be a real freeway flyer!

Best,

bro. d

6. frankenregal84

frankenregal84 Active Member

I have a gear vendor. Not yet installed and I'm not sure if it will ever get installed. I will most likely end up getting a t56.

But worth considering is that 4l80e has lockup and relatively expensive and few options for converters unless you want to use stock.

Th400 doesn't have lockup.

The ratios and weight are similar.

To drive I would prefer the 4l80e because I would put a ridiculous stall converter in it like a 4000 and still have lockup on the highway. I have a car similar to this now and it's the best of both worlds.

The th400 in the same case would mean I would have to tame the stall rating a bit.

The lockup with that high of a stall is comparable to a "shift" almost like you have another gear.

7. The Mad Cadder

Az Iam confused by your post. the 4l80 is expensive but

I can get any stall or size converter you want for 4l80e ?? For a quality converter [ and I see no point in anything else ..ask me why ]
    They are the same price as a th400

8. frankenregal84

frankenregal84 Active Member

Summitracing right now lists 192 converter choices for the TH400 and 55 for the 4L80E.

3000rpm converters for 4L80e with lockup start at $1000.
    3000rpm converters for TH400 start at $199.

9. The Mad Cadder

Yes and my point was the $200 converter will transfer about 2/3 of the torque.. and leak and split and possibly blowout into the flexplate and destroy the thrust on the crank

My 425 made the 2400-2600 converter swell to the point the welds split and caused that mystery wide open throttle only trans leak I had.. it was rated for 500 hp...haha

The th400 Tci anti blowoutplate converter I have cost $800 25 years ago.. its like $1000 now ...

Iam not exactly sure now but I paid like $795 for my custom built 9.5" Vigilanti lockup ..
    http://www.converter.com/vigilante.htm

Check out the quality of the parts in it

http://converter.com/why.htm

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  10. Natonia1969

Natonia1969 Member

So who sells the trans adapter plate? What all is needed to get the 4l80e work? Trans adapter plate, trans control module? What else? Does it have the same yoke or spline?

11. gary kosier

gary kosier Member

Since the 4L80E is a computer-controlled tranny, you need (guess what) a computer. The diesel trucks
    have a standalone box for the tranny. You also need a vehicle speed sensor. That's all I know about it.

Gary Kosier

12. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

I had intended to go with a GM diesel trans controller, one I personally took out of the vehicle. It is available, along with links to a host of Internet site on how to set it up, if someone is interested. The purchase cost from me would be very modest.

I chose to go with the aftermarket Baumann - US Shift for my controller: http://www.usshift.com/history.shtml.

Best,

d

13. The Mad Cadder

I got my trans adapter from mts .. really it is just a trans dapt but I added some reinforcement to it..
    Of course all this is posted..

beware the cheap thin ones like summit and jegs list..

No vss needed with a controller..they have it built in but you need either a electric speedo. Or mechanical speedo drive .

The slip yoke is the same as a th400 ..

All I did with my drivershaft was remove a cardan..between the length difference and adapter plate it is the same distance as the cardan is between joints

You can get by with the column shifter but the gear indicator will be off.. otherwise you can go with a floorshifter like I did.. The computer allows you to change shift points shift quality shift aggressiveness
    and performance all from the touch of buttons..
    Really no need for that manual shift option the floor shifter gives you

The bottom line is if you want a overdrive auto trans and make decent power there is no cheap way out

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  14. kzhurley

kzhurley Member

I'm running a stock 94 4l80e and diesel computer behind a stock low compression 500.. the shift points are perfect for a stock 500 with 3.42 gears and 235/75/15 tires.. get close to 17mpg on highway with a qjet in a 56 Cadillac.

15. Cadiac

Cadiac Active Member

89 3/4 suburban 472 t400 with a gear vendors. It has 3:73 rear end so it would be blocking traffic or screaming without the OD

16. MIHELA

MIHELA Member

Trans-Dapt TD0061 is the adapter you want. It has the extension for the nose of the converter and the spacers for the mounting bolts. It is a very well made piece too. A stock computer from a 94-95 truck can be made into a standalone controller for it as well. http://mattw.dyndns.org/4L80E/

Darius likes this.
  17. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

MIHELA,

The Trans-Dapt adapter is what I went with after first getting one of the flimsy ones from Jegs, Summit or one of the other vendors (returned that unit). The link you provided is one of several showing "here's how" to use the diesel standalone controller.

Good post.

d

18. The Mad Cadder

Seems someone else has posted the one mts sells is a trans dapt ?? And they modified it too..Hmmm
    I wonder who it was
    Seems there were pics too
    https://cadillacpower.com/threads/507-boogieman.18059/page-12#post-194722

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 5:32 PM
  19. pila78

pila78 Active Member

An old friend, who lives across the road from me, has a 4L8oE from a 1-ton van that he and I scrapped out. I'm still thinking about using it... Good to know about the different adapter plates. Must be some off-shore based stuff, that uses the thin plate... I would have to swap rear gears to do it though, with my 2.50:1 9 inch ratio...
    That thin adapter plate may be fine for small BOP engines & Chevy transmission types..

20. MIHELA

MIHELA Member

The cool thing about running the stock computers for these is the ability to tailor the shift point to your application. I use TunerPro RT to modify and I have a basic chip burner and a Moates memcal adapter to burn chips.

Natonia1969 likes this.