Other projects you're working on.

Discussion in 'Off Topic, B.S., Lounge' started by Sean, Jan 4, 2012.

1. 53 Studillac

53 Studillac Active Member

mario,

Yes, that was the Studillac before I tore it apart to make it badder ass!

Dwayne

2. dave brode

dave brode Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  3. dave brode

k

please delete

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  4. dave brode

k

please delete

5. curby

curby New Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    62 cad convert and 66 mercury colony park
    Citroen id and ds have 4 AND 5 speed standard on the tree.

6. curby

curby New Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    62 cad convert and 66 mercury colony park
    Projects- 78 gold wing cafe/street bike for sale. 1966 Mercury Colony Park finish paint and install Holley Sniper fuel injection. 1962 Cad rag top restomod, LS power turbo 400,white with candy red scallops,needs everything,gathering parts and pieces right now.

PJ McCoy likes this.
  7. Mike P

Mike P Member

I hate being bored. :confused:

With the 37 Dodge PU on the road I decided to revisit the 57 Plymouth I built 10 years ago (with an eye on driving it back to Illinois for my 50th HS reunion in a couple of years). The car has a 1956 354 Hemi, Tri-Power, Overdrive 4 speed, and Chrysler 9 ¼ Rear end with 4.10 Posi.

[​IMG]57 Plymouth by M Patterson, on Flickr

[​IMG]57 354 by M Patterson, on Flickr

[​IMG]57 Int by M Patterson, on Flickr

The car is fun to drive, but as age is catching up with me I wanted to redo a couple of things. So far I’ve redone the clutch linkage to slow down the engagement and take a bit of pedal effort out of it. The rear springs were starting to sag a little bit so they got a couple of additional leaves in them.

The next thing I want to tackle is putting power steering on it. The 50s era PS is huge. slow and has absolutely no road feel. I purposely built the car with manual steering for those reasons. So right now I’m in the process of seeing if I can retrofit a Saginaw steering gear in it. Of course the PS pump bracket I want to use that will work with my current pulley set up was made by PAW and they no longer exist.

Also on the to do list is the induction. The Tri-Power has been great and gets 20 MPG on the highway. I always thought I could pick up some more mid and upper range power with a bit more carburetion soooooo…….

I dug up an original 57 Chrysler intake and a pair of my favorite early 60s Cadillac AFBs to try on it.

[​IMG]Cad afb s by M Patterson, on Flickr

As long as I was building linkage, I also built a progressive set up. It will be interesting to see what the engine likes best (and how far in the dumper my mileage goes :eek: ).

[​IMG]Cad AFB P by M Patterson, on Flickr

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  8. pila78

pila78 Well-Known Member

Very cool Mike !! I thought that the '57 & '58 396 was wider between the heads, taller block etc, , so I wondered about using that manifold on the 354 (??)

Very cool car !!

9. Mike P

Mike P Member

Thanks Bill. I assume you mean the 57-58 392 Hemi.

Chrysler did some odd ball stuff over the years. You are correct that the 392 is a taller deck than the 331 and 354 HEMIs. Rather than make the heads interchangeable and casting up a wider intake like is common for most manufactures, the 392 had heads that were wider on the intake side than the 331/354s. Basically the intakes directly interchange and the heads don't.

pila78 likes this.
  10. bugzaper

bugzaper Well-Known Member

Now that is a very cool old car!
    Just wondering, would a larger area air filter help in the miles per gallon search.
    Or maybe one of those "Gear Venders" overdrive units would most defiantly do the trick, but they are rather pricey!

11. 8ad-f85

8ad-f85 Well-Known Member

Not to jump in or imply universal benefits but,
    Larger air cleaner worked for me and lower rpm on;y works when the engine is happier there and of course, has ample enough torque to keep a minimal throttle angle at that speed..
    Air cleaners and carbs are rated by the average or volume displacement and since engines pulse, they seem to like more breathing capacity than the averages would suggest.
    Hoping for more dialog.
    Hopefully didn't take the post over...

12. Mike P

Mike P Member

".....Just wondering, would a larger area air filter help in the miles per gallon search.
    Or maybe one of those "Gear Venders" overdrive units would most defiantly do the trick, but they are rather pricey!....."

"........Not to jump in or imply universal benefits but,
    Larger air cleaner worked for me and lower rpm on;y works when the engine is happier there and of course, has ample enough torque to keep a minimal throttle angle at that speed..
    Air cleaners and carbs are rated by the average or volume displacement and since engines pulse, they seem to like more breathing capacity than the averages would suggest....."

Good points from both of you. As far as the air filter I'm a firm believer that bigger is always better. That being said, there is a pretty fair amount of filter area in this one......it's a knock off of the filter assembly (and uses the same filter) that Ford used on the Tri-Power 390 and 406 cars and the Dual Quad 427s. They used to offer a taller filter for these, but I haven't come across those in many years. I do have Mopar 6 Pack filter I could use, but for this car I don't really care for the way it looks.

[​IMG]GA by M Patterson, on Flickr

As far as mileage, I can't really complain, as it's set up right now with the Tri-Power it get right at 20 MPG at 75 MPH with the AC on. I'm hoping with the dual quads to lose no more than a couple of miles per gallon.

Your right about lower RPM not necessarily equating to increased gas mileage. You need to see where the cam is happiest at. In my case I got really lucky with the cam selection and at 75 MPH I'm at about 2700 RPM and that seems to be the sweet spot for the car. Much below 2500 RPM it starts to get a big doggy, in part due to the cam, but I suspect also because of the large ports and valves.

The 4 speed in the car is the overdrive version of the NP A833. The gear splits kind of suck but it's a pretty good compromise and effectively turn the 4.10s into a 3.0 final ratio.

I did a build video on the car several years ago and recently posted it to you tube in case anybody wants to see it.

PJ McCoy, pila78 and 8ad-f85 like this.
  13. bugzaper

:rolleyes:...very nice build, when you are tired with it let me know.

8ad-f85 likes this.
  14. bugzaper

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    8ad-f85 likes this.
  15. DevilDeVille

DevilDeVille Member

Some progress on NATster:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]