Oil on Manifold

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by PJ McCoy, Nov 4, 2017.

1. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Can i reuse my intake gasket? Its the type with the pan on the bottom.
    I need to remove the rubber seal from front and back of manifold. The front is leaking. I was told by Cadder not to use it, it will leak. He was right. Im Going with his suggestion, use "right stuff" rtv sealer in front and back. I saw it puffing a little mist from the front this morning. There is alot of oil just under the temp. Sender. To the left of the first pick. Dont know why in the picture its so black. Doesnt look like that on the engine. Hey. But now i get to try and do some road testing.
    Thanks PJ

Attached Files:

2. MIHELA

MIHELA Member

You might get away with reusing it but they are only about 20 new from Rockauto.

3. bugzaper

bugzaper Well-Known Member

Used "Right Stuff" on build almost 10 years ago and not a drop of oil anywhere.

Cadiac and PJ McCoy like this.
  4. pila78

pila78 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with "Right Stuff" ( I lead a sheltered life ) Is it available in parts stores ??

5. bugzaper

bugzaper Well-Known Member

It's been awhile but, if I remember right I got mine through the old "MTS" business or it may have been through NAPA, just can't remember.
    One thing I do know is that once it sets it is like "pulling teeth" to get the manifold off again, which I haven't had to do but, may have to real soon and not looking forward to it.

6. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Thanks MIHELA, when i say im budgeted for this car, I mean budgeted. Down to the fake copper penny we use today. I spent all but $12.00. Just had to give Dad a ride. Worth every cent too. So all side jobs fund my car. My 9-5 funds my wife. Lol. Sounds crazy but thats how it is. Im ok with that too. Life is wonderful and full of surprises.
    Know that its legal i want to drive and tune. Big kid with a new toy. Ive heard others here use paper gasket material to seal their intakes. Thats why i asked.
    Does it really work? IDK. If so please telly me how and why?. As i have a roll of thick blue gasket rubberized paper? Thats what it feel like. Napa brand. So the 12 bucks going to the sealer. I love Napa parts. I compared the Napa oil to others and seems to rate up there with the best.
    Thanks for the responce.
    How is your car running? Anything new?
    PJ

7. MIHELA

MIHELA Member

I believe a thin coat of good rtv around all the port surfaces would be sufficient. I actually did that on my brand new one. Not a full bead, just a skim.

8ad-f85 likes this.
  8. 8ad-f85

8ad-f85 Well-Known Member

If you don't mind the time involved cleaning and other related prep work, they can be used if in good shape for a stock intake and head engine.
    There are definitely pros and cons.

PJ McCoy likes this.
  9. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Its new. Not hardly a year old and very few miles on the motor...
    Im going to give it a try. Got nothing to loose here.​

8ad-f85 likes this.
  10. pila78

pila78 Well-Known Member

Since I'm into aircraft engines more that auto stuff, I figure " when in doubt----toss it out" in regard to gaskets of any kind.
    If I buy a new intake "pan" type gasket, for the Caddy engine, and hang it on the shop wall, I'll never have to use it, because it's handy !!

PJ McCoy, 8ad-f85 and Darius like this.
  11. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Advance Auto. I always buy it online and get 20% off all instore products

Attached Files: