No spark 1972 Cadillac Fleetwood

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by ImperialCruzin, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ImperialCruzin

ImperialCruzin New Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1972 Cadillac Fleetwood Limo
    My grandpa left me a 1972 Cadillac Fleetwood Limosine. It was parked in his garage for 10+ Years now and Ive always enjoyed the memory of this Huge cars sound and size from when i was young.. Ive never hot rodded before, but Im pretty swift at figuring things out. Im not sure what route to safely take first. I have a few questions.
    1. Old Gas. gummed up Carb. how to clean bowls, refresh gastank in the least invasive way to avoid (if possible) damaging seals.
    2. damaging the cylinders/bearings due to the possibility of rust in the engine. How to check internal conditions* oil is dark but looks clean.
    3. troubleshooting the No Spark issue.

Im going to buy a semi truck battery tomorrow Lol and some fogging oil... Just hoping you guys might know a few good places to start. how do I drain this gas tank.. siphon?

2. pila78

pila78 Active Member

Does that year has a point-type distributor ? Don't remember when Cadillac went to the HEI....
    You could remove the spark plugs, and put some Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder, and spin it over a bit with the starter, to get some lube in there...

3. 61cadman

61cadman Member

1972 would normally have a points distributer. I would the cap , spin over with the starter and see if the points contacts open and close, or look to see if they are burnt. They may be stuck if they were in the closed the position for years. check the bottom of tank for a drain plug maybe 3/4" socket plug. Some gas tanks had a drain plug on the bottom of the tank. my 61, 73 Cadillac did. 75 no.
    Once you get spark. drain the gas tank, put a little fresh fuel down the carb and into the air horn and crank it. See if it fires up Carb maybe ok. Cadillac's are pretty durable and can sit for long periods.

4. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

I would add disconnect the fuel line as to not pull the bad fuel into the carb, Wouild need a rebuild anyway to handle the new type of gas. seals will be shot very soon anyway. Better to pay someone with that Rochester. You could buy cliffs book. That will help alot. You should get it going in few, Good luck.
    If you have to set the points and dont have feeler gauge, I seen my dad use a match book cover. Worked too. Was it right? Probably not but it did get him going. He kept spares in his glove box. anytime he would drive and get into to much water he was replacing the points. I was a young guy back then. Heavy rain would hydro plain him off the shoulder. Thats what caused excessive water under the hood.

5. 48Austin

48Austin New Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin
    Don't use the starter to crank it. Do it by hand REAL slow back and forth easily like a seized, rusted bolt or you may break he rings. Depending on how much fuel is in the tank now just dump some new into the tank.