MANY POSITIVES - BUT ROOM TO IMPROVE

Discussion in 'Community Suggestion Box' started by Darius, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Fleetwood Fanatic,

Change is often difficult for people as it upsets that to which they have grown accustom. I decidedly fall within that group. Still, I can also recognize the benefits that change can bring.

The posting of pictures is an example of the positives found in this new "look." It is nice not having to move a picture to a program to reduce its size - and frequently having to repeat the process several times before an acceptable size is created. Thanks for that improvement.

Now, for the few areas that are problematic for me and possible for others. I have a difficult time SEEING the little block that identifies a "NEW" posting. It simply isn't prominent enough. The same difficulty exist with the DATE and TIME of the postings as they are small in size and SHADED as well. We all scramble for time and it would be so much faster if the two items noted were easier to see.

Thanks for the consideration,

br0. d

Fleetwood Fanatic likes this.
  2. Fleetwood Fanatic

Fleetwood Fanatic Cadillac Fanatic

Hi Darius. Okay, let me see... Yeah, that little block (as you refer to it) - is that the little blue circle at the left side of discussions with new posts (at the right of the poster's avatar)? If so, you could look past that and just pay attention to the actual title of the discussion. It'll be bold if there are any new posts. Or you could try clicking the "new posts" tab up top. Then you know all the topics listed have new posts.

I'm increasing the size of that small text right now. Thank you for the suggestions!

3. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

FF,

I have not seen the "little blue circle at the left side of discussions ...." so, obviously, that wasn't what I was referring to. My reference was to the blue rectangle at the far right with the word "NEW" in it. But your pointing out the "little blue circle" is an excellent example of a problem with anything new, in that people new to the format don't even know WHAT exists! Hell, I've not seen that blue circle, or noticed it - just as I've not been familiar with the option to click somewhere (new post) and see ALL new posts, regardless of the thread. Living and learning is guess. Slow, awkward at times, but with potential to be great once the options are understood and employed.

Best,

bro. d

ps. Thanks for increasing the size of that small text.

4. Fleetwood Fanatic

This IS pretty complex software and even I find features I had no idea existed as I'm moving around... I'm sure I haven't found all the features yet myself.

5. mario

mario Active Member

Bro d:
    If you would have listened to your mother, your eyesight would still be good.....:p:p:p
    ciao,
    mario

6. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

WHAT?? Sitting too close to the TV or that other thing that made my hands so callused?? :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  7. mario

mario Active Member

Bro d:
    Now you know there wasn't TV back in those days, hell, not sure if Ben had flown his kite yet :p:p:p
    ciao,
    mario

8. shiftless

shiftless Active Member

Fleetwood Fanatic: you are Ted's IT guy? Please ensure that the old phpBB forum database is backed up and not deleted, so that it can be saved and archived. I like the look of the new software, although the use of Javascript everywhere concerns me, and as Darius mentioned there are going to be a number of things that need to be tweaked/adjusted before everyone is comfortable with it. I really think the forum ought to be migrated back to Simple Machines (I should have never installed phpBB to begin with) although XenForo seems to be worth looking at, if we could find a different theme that isn't so Javascript heavy....and with NO Facebook (CIA-book) integration.

9. Fleetwood Fanatic

Hi Shiftless. I have the database backed up and if we ever want, for whatever reason, to move back to phpBB, we can load it into the latest version. We had originally upgraded to the latest version of phpBB but some of the functionality was broken with the back-end server software. It's set for very high security. I've worked with Simple Machines before as well - but felt the future was better with XenForo (which we're using here now).

Most of the new forum software is becoming very feature-rich to compete with one another - and this means more Javascript, unfortunately. They're all headed in this direction so if they're not there now - they will be. We'll be making changes as we move along to ensure everyone, or at least almost everyone, is comfortable with the new layout.

Two of the biggest reasons we're now on XenForo is the out-of-the-box responsive design (works great on both desktop and mobile) and ability to run smoothly on a server set with very high security. Member's account information (email, ip address, password, etc.) privacy is very important to us - which is why we now have an SSL certificate (https).

I'll keep my eye out for themes that might use less Javascript.

10. shiftless

shiftless Active Member

" I've worked with Simple Machines before as well - but felt the future was better with XenForo (which we're using here now). "

Based on what reasoning? Does "better" actually mean "good", like it used to mean, or does it really mean "shitty in different and slightly less annoying ways, for the moment at least"?

"Most of the new forum software is becoming very feature-rich to compete with one another - and this means more Javascript, unfortunately. They're all headed in this direction so if they're not there now - they will be. "

So your argument is "because of all of the dumb asses of the world are doing a certain horrible and stupid thing, therefore we have no choice but to sigh and accept it"?

99% of software made today is GARBAGE. I'm not convinced that we haven't simply jumped from one pile of trash to the next.

"Two of the biggest reasons we're now on XenForo is the out-of-the-box responsive design (works great on both desktop and mobile)"

98% of users here do not care about "mobile." And they damn sure don't care about Facebook integration.

"and ability to run smoothly on a server set with very high security. Member's account information (email, ip address, password, etc.) privacy is very important to us - which is why we now have an SSL certificate (https)."

You seemingly know nothing about web security. HTTPS DOES NOT make ANYTHING more secure, EVER. ALL of your secrets are transparent to those who want them. All HTTPS does is slow down the forum and increase administration hassle and expense.

11. shiftless

shiftless Active Member

As far as the "ability to attach larger images" goes, that could have easily been done with a simple configuration change in phpBB, which could and should have been done years ago, when disk space was no longer at such a premium!

12. Fleetwood Fanatic

Best of luck to you, Shiftless.

13. CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy Member

Haven't been here in a while, and it'll take some time to get used to the new format, but I guess it'll be like logging in to a new forum. With all the javascript stuff, I guess this forum will now be off limits to my old iPad I use to read in bed at the end of my day. The unit will change someday, as more and more forums and other web sites are getting unusable on that thing.

One question, though. I HATE floaty things. How do I remove that stupid 'bell in the red circle' labeled 'Subscribe to notifications'? I'll NEVER subscribe to notifications, so it needs to go. Thank you.

And where did my avatar go?

14. Fleetwood Fanatic

I don't remember if anyone's avatar carried over from the old system. I forget. As for the red bell, it's SUPPOSED to go away on its own but apparently it's sticking around. I'll add it onto my to-do list to figure out what's going on there.