Help! I need a safe space! This makes me uncomfortable!

Discussion in 'Cadillac V-Series and V-Sport' started by Fleetwood Fanatic, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

You know what? I'm prejudiced! How's that coming from a Brotha?

Some of you might recall that on July 21st of this year I was rear-ended twice on the freeway (that should indicate their speed). We are still waiting for the two insurance companies to acknowledge the obvious and pony out a small amount of money so that my family can move on. Last Saturday I rented a Nissan to help the family of three drivers with two cars get by. The wife still works, our son both works and attends college and I have physical therapy sessions every damned day of the week - with doctor's appointments sprinkled in the between time!!!

All that to say, "WE NEED A FLIPPING CAR"! Since the soon to be "recently departed" (totaled) Acura was the large flagship Acura TL-S, which is no longer being made, I've been looking for a suitable replacement. What is wanted: decent performance, four door sedan, superior braking and handling, with more than adequate power. Acura no longer makes anything with those credential in my price range (broke), nor does Audi, the manufacturer on my wife's highly turbo boosted little scoot-box.

Maybe, just maybe, it is time for me to put away my prejudices, and to at least look at one of those Cadillac with names pulled out of an alphabet soup hat. Hell, where to even begin??

Confused (where is that damned Studebaker when you need it??),

d

8ad-f85 likes this.
  2. Fleetwood Fanatic

Fleetwood Fanatic Cadillac Fanatic

Car accidents, lawyers and insurance companies. I know what a mess that can be. And physical therapy just adds to the joy. I know. Now one sec. You said Acura's "large flagship". That's actually the RL (or now RLX). The TL-S is now the TLX and that's the midsize. If you have the TL-S then Cadillac's equal would be the CTS. If you have the RL then you'd probably want to look at the DTS.

Cadillac went through a long period of putting out some questionable automobiles but they've been doing very good for a while now. A CTS is a real bargain in the midsize luxury segment.

3. 8ad-f85

8ad-f85 Well-Known Member

Not a 5200!!??!! WTH............................... :)
    I was going to use it because of the unheard of mileage I get from them (being serious here) AND massive power.

PJ McCoy and Fleetwood Fanatic like this.
  4. 8ad-f85

8ad-f85 Well-Known Member

Crayons make you uncomfortable? They don't go inside you!

Fleetwood Fanatic likes this.
  5. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

The NEW Acura flagship is the RLX but when mine was new the TL-S was top dog. Prices on that new RLX range from $54,450 – $65,950!!
    Too steep for this retired, fixed income would-be.

The TLX is downsized in comparison, and is considered underpowered, sporting inadequate brakes. Sorry, but no match there.

Time for me to do some Google research on a 2012 CTS (or one of those other XZLM's) to see who has what.

Best,

d

6. Fleetwood Fanatic

Yes, the RLX is up there in price. Too expensive for what it is, in my opinion. The new TLX is downsized a bit. Also too expensive for what it is. I guess I'm not a big fan of Acura these days. How times change. The 2012 Cadillac CTS is a pretty good buy.

7. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Our last two 'large' cars have been Acura and while we've enjoyed the space, handling and fuel economy I've never, ever been a fan of high RPM, low torque engines. (That where the turbo Audi shines.)
    A year ago my wife and I had a trip in the TL-S up at Flathead Lake in Montana. The roads were good, weather was great and the car was totally comfortable caravanning with another hot-shoe cruising between 115-120. More torque wasn't necessary at that speed but down low .....?

Thanks for the lead.

d

8. wishmasstir

wishmasstir Member

whoa ... wtf happened here haha

I appreciate everything Julius has done for me on this forum, honestly he replied to pms almost instantaneously and helped me get back on the road without any grief. I'm 33 years old so I don't get the hating on the new cars out there but understand how some people can't accept change. That said, I like puppies too, actually I only like my dog.

8ad-f85 and Fleetwood Fanatic like this.
  9. kzhurley

kzhurley Member

Lol thanks for clearing that up...

10. Fleetwood Fanatic

I'm definitely with ya there. Not a fan of high revving, low torque engines either. Boost does make a big difference and brings lots of torque early on in the RPMs and at a wide range. This is what I love about the CTS-V. A 6.2 liter V8 supercharged. All during a time when most other brands are dropping their sixes and replacing them with fours. Not good. I'm sure I don't need to say I like the Hellcats and Demons as well.

As for leads. You might want to put the DTS on your shopping list. It's a great car, has more power than the CTS (Northstar V8), more room and more like traditional Cadillac luxury.

He's welcome to stick around whether he likes or hates new Cadillacs. That makes no difference to me. If he's so uncomfortable with people talking about new Cadillacs that he must leave, I'm really not sure what to make of that.

11. Motorfingers

Motorfingers New Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, Recaros, Sunroof, Bose
    Wow, I read this thread because I'm new here (this is my first post). It looks like the moderators are offering a place to vent for the xenophobes and the haters, as well as a solution - to flag this board as invisible to them on an individual, request basis.

I've been around a little and understand the people can be protective of a gentlemanly culture in a forum. With the exception of one very professional forum that I won't name because of the Internet courtesy of not naming one forum on another forum, I can agree that the culture on at lest two other Cadillac forums that welcome V-Series people is less than gentlemanly. But I'll say that my experience is that the culture on a forum is set by the moderators, and people that come to it either fit in, leave, or are banned, and nearly all fit in to the culture in which they participate. In other words, don't worry about V-Series people here.

With regard to the LSA, it has as much heritage in the Escalade as anything else, and the other high performance LS engines get a lot of their engine breathing technology from Cadillac working to make the Escalade drive like a Cadillac (i.e., fast) while in fact being a truck. This engine was produceable on its own assembly line, while the Corvette supercharged engine was hand-built and far more expensive as a result; they shared few parts. The 2015-up supercharged engines for both Cadillac and Corvette are much more similar mechanically, are more powerful than the previous Corvette incarnation, and are produceable - which tells me that they learned something from the LSA. Next year, we will see even more horsepower; the LSA is only 90 hp/liter so we may need a stronger block and rotating assembly but we don't need more displacement just yet. And I expect that the new 700++ hp engine will be in the Cadillac V-Series somewhere, too.

<CSB>I recall as a high school student at a local drag strip, the rich kids were putting their new 1957 Chevy coupes with fuel-injected 283 hp with 4-on-the-floor through the quarter mile. One kids gray-haired daddy was there with his suit and tie, $40 haircut and pink 1957 Cadillac and, in mid-afternoon, offered to put his car through the traps. With a great whooosshhh of obstructed and otherwise silent dual exhausts, his bubble-stirring automatic transmission providing vague coupling of his engine to his visibly torqued-to-the-right huge pink sedan, he beat everybody's numbers by a mile. Later, he let us look at his 365 cid V8 with factory dual quads.</CSB>

My 2011 CTS-V is the most reliable car I've ever had, based on my experience with it as my daily driver for the last five years.

8ad-f85 likes this.
  12. Fleetwood Fanatic

Welcome, @Motorfingers. I do believe you are officially our first V-Series member. Congratulations! As you can see there isn't much V-Series talk. But I'd like to see that change. As you know, anyone who doesn't want to be included in V-Series talk is welcome to use their safe space to avoid being made uncomfortable by the conversations taking place. As it stands, there's really nothing to be afraid of. But. Perhaps now. All that will change. Perhaps not! The ball is in your court.

Feel free to mention and/or link to any Cadillac website you choose. There are no anti-competition rules here. We respect freedom of speech and we're not worried about forum competition. Obviously there are no advertisements here so this site is not about earning an income. Personally, I find the "Cadillac" V-Series to be extremely impressive. Especially considering how our favorite domestic luxury car company has the Germans scrambling to stay on top.

This site is "Cadillac Power". V-Series discussion is a no brainer.

8ad-f85 likes this.
  13. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Hello Motorfingers and welcome to the forum.

Please share photos and details of your ride.

Best,

bro. d

14. samlembo1955

samlembo1955 New Member

I have a 2014 V Coupe...... I also own a '64 Seville convertible, a '66 Seville convertible, a 75 Eldorado convertible, a '76 Eldorado convertible, a '76 Seville, a '77 Seville, a '85 Seville and a 93 Allante comvertible/HT. I love them all but for very different reasons.

The V is unbeatable and is a hell of a track car. The Allante also performs and handles well after all it's a Caddy wearing a finely tailered Italian suit! The rest of my cars (excluding my '75 which I'm turning into my "Hot Rod Caddy") are just great, open air, rolling couch's!!!

Sam

15. Fleetwood Fanatic

Welcome Sam! Well I can see you're a Cadillac enthusiast for sure. You have some amazing cars and I hope you'll find the time to post pictures of them all! The CTS-V Coupe is a heck of a car and always turns my head. The Coupe has a very unique look to it. I'm glad Cadillac didn't just remove two doors and call it a day. So you have the best of both worlds. Cadillac power now, then, and even in-between!